Is there an inordinate amount of gossip in your office? Do many conversations begin with “I’m not supposed to know this,” or “Don’t tell anyone, but ….”?
- Has your boss ever told you information that you felt you should not know, especially information about other employees?
- Has your boss ever told you about upcoming events and then told you to keep the information secret? More importantly, was the information necessary for you to perform your job?
- Does your boss expect you to give your personal observations or opinions about your co-workers’ quality of work or working relationships? Do you feel uncomfortable with the request for the information?
- Do promotions, reorganizations or assignments seem to be based on personal relationships rather than on competencies?
- Do you sometimes feel confused about who you can talk to and what you can talk about?
WHY SHOULD I ATTEND THIS WORKSHOP?
This workshop describes quite simply how office politics and the rumor mill are forums for controlling and manipulating others.
It also shows how manipulation and control are totally unrelated to the purpose or mission of the organization.
You will be able to look at events and relationships in the workplace and make decisions about how you want to interact with people who are using manipulative and controlling behaviors.
You will be challenged to look at and assess your own behavior, and you’ll leave with strategies to prevent or avoid entrapment in troubled work relationships.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
You will be able to
- Determine when productive communication turns to gossip and rumor
- Turn non-productive communication into productive interactions
- Stop or prevent gossip and rumor in the workplace
You can ask questions to clarify your understanding about the differences between inappropriate behaviors, test your understanding by reading and responding to case studies and work together in small groups to develop specific actions and strategies to prevent or avoid the inappropriate behavior.
WHAT IS THE POISON GRAPEVINE?
- A self-contained one-day workshop
- Designed for managers and employees alike, and
- Intended for staff who want to stop gossip, rumor and prevent or avoid inappropriate and non-productive workplace behavior
WHAT ARE THEY SAYING ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP?
This workshop has been presented to a number of organizations. Feedback from every workshop strongly supports its need. Here are just a few representative comments we have received:
“Everyone needs this information so that the workplace can be a healthy environment.”
“This is excellent. A truly innovative and creative way to approach troubled workplace systems—and very real and very helpful.”
“Two great instructors on a topic of importance to teams and organizations.”
“The presenters were quite professional. Not only was it informative, but also entertaining and value-added. Folks should not miss this workshop.”
“It provides insight into why people behave the way they do. I highly recommend it.”
“It was refreshing to have this discussed—it will help me a lot in my work relationships.”
“Powerful. Compelling. Provocative. A must do for any manager.”